Know where it comes from:
Peppermint essence from the peppermint plants is the primary component of peppermint tea. Peppermint has always been a popular choice when adding flavors to a drink or dish. Peppermint and spearmint are the two most popular types of plants from the Mentha or mint genus. There are a total of 15-20 types of plants that belong to mint genus/family.
Mint is a herb that can add exquisite flavors to dishes. Many people love mint the flavor without even knowing its health benefits.
Peppermint (Mentha piperita) is a natural hybrid of water mint and spearmint. It was first farmed in England in the late seventeenth century and was used as a medicine for indigestion. Dried mint leaves have been found in Egyptian pyramids, even the ancient Greeks and Romans referred to it as a stomach soother.
Peppermint has one of the highest antioxidant content among any food. Beauty products, toothpaste and gums often contain mint oil.
Health benefits of drinking peppermint tea:
Aside from being delicious and refreshing, peppermint tea has numerous health benefits to offer. The facts presented here have been thoroughly researched and backed by scientific studies conducted by medical professionals.
1. Immunity boost: High anti-oxidant content, along with other anti-bacterial properties, makes peppermint tea a great beverage to improve your immunity system and fend off disease-causing bacteria.
2. Digestion and bloating: Peppermint has been used since time immemorial to treat digestive disorders and gas. It is known to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
3. Releases stress: Peppermint tea has been known to reduce stress and anxiety. It is because of the menthol present in it. Menthol acts as a muscle relaxant and induces stress release. Hence, an uplifted mood and peaceful sleep.
4. Aids fat loss: A cup of peppermint tea can leave you feeling full for a long period. This results in reduced consumption of excess calories. If you are looking to lose a few kilos, peppermint tea is the way forward.
5. Allergies: Peppermint contains a chemical called Rosemarinic Acid, which is an anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory agent. It has been reported to be an effective medicine for seasonal allergies. Drinking peppermint tea every day should reduce your susceptibility to seasonal allergies.
6. Gastric ulcer: The menthol present in peppermint is known to protect the lining of the stomach from indomethacin and ethanol – the main two substances that cause gastric ulcers in animals.
7. Pain relief: Peppermint tea has been known to increase the pain threshold in a human, thus acting as natural pain killers. In some cases, it has been observed to be as effective as its synthetic counterparts.
8. Oral health: Peppermint has been long known to be an arch nemesis of bad breath, which is the reason why they are so frequently used in toothpaste.
Peppermint tea is available online today. The refreshing aroma and health benefits of the beverage will leave your mind and body feeling rejuvenated.